----- Original Message -----
From: Civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 4:24 AM
Subject: Re: [expert] what is initrd in lilo.conf ?

> > what for is the line:
> > initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.13-7mdk.img
> > in the lilo.conf file
> > and what is initrd-2.2.13-7mdk.img
>
> The line in lilo.conf tells where to find the initrd image
>
> The image itself is read into memory and mounted as the
>
> initial ram disk
>
> so that the startups can begin working....
>
> next it mounts the root image read-only...  check for a previous proper
> unmount, etc, just as you see flash by on the console as linux is starting up.

It ios exactaly that - an initial ram  filesystem that assists in teh boot process. My
scsi-only system with the Adaptec 1502 card (no bios to boot from) needs init.rd on
the boot floppy in order to load the scsi adapter driver so it can access the scsi
drive and continue the boot process. One of these days, I will find that 80MB ide
drive that's in a box some where, DOS format it, transfer the kernel and init.rd file
a nd use loadlon.exe to bbot the system - for now a floppy will do.

Hoyt