On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Axalon Bloodstone wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Phil Edwards wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this comes under the "Stupid Questions" heading or not, but is
> > there any reason why the .iso images on the various ftp mirrors can't be
> > compressed to make for a (slightly) quicker download?
> >

> Yes they generaly get just get bigger, as all the rpms are already as
> compressed as they are going to get. Sense the 30 or so Mb of doc's were
> moved theres even less point.

Just for giggles I thought I'd give this a shot since I've got tons of
disk space.  I gzipped a copy of mandrake61-1.iso that was laying around
my ftp server hard drive.  It gzipped okay; however, gunzipping it caused
a "format violated" error and wouldn't decompress it.

--
Rich Clark

Sign the petition at http://www.libranet.com/petition.html
Help bring us more Linux Drivers