Ok. I know this is more of a generic question, but this is the
closest thing to a generic list I'm subbed to, so I'm asking here...

Can someone reccommend a good Perl textbook? I mean one where you
start with the basic stuff and gradually get more difficult? I'm told
that the O'Reilly books make great reference material, but that they
stink as far as text books go.

My local LUG is running a Perl class, and the closest thing to a
textbook we have is the Perl Cookbook by O'Reilly, and it's rather
frustrating to me to try and find what I need in there, because I'm
very much a novice to programming in general and to Perl in
particular.
        Thanks...
        John