It sure did.. thanx...  where would I be able to find more extensive docs
about this?  The docs I downloaded from Postgres's website didn't even
mention this....

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Vivien Malerba
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 2:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Running Postgres postmaster

On jeu, 09 mar 2000, you wrote:
> I'm trying to get Postgres up and running on my Mandrake 7, and am having
> hell of a time with the postmater command.  According to the documentation
> it should be as simple as typing:
>
> postmaster -i
>
> I've even gone as far as defining my data directory (although the PGDATA
> environmental variable is defined) with:
>
> postmaster -i -D /home/PostgresData
>
> However, when I run it, the prompt never returns....  could somebody
> enlighten me as to what I may be missing?  I've followed most of the
> directions (I skipped the ones about compiling the source code and
> installing it because I installed it according to the defaults the RPMs
> used...)
>
> thanx

When Mandrake is installed, the postgres installation is not complete. It is
completed the first time you launch te service (/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
ou
quelque chose du style). This init will create the right directory
structure,...
Then you may create new databases, users,...

Do not forget that if you want the postmaster to be launched at each linux
startup, to add a symlink in /etc/rc.d/rc??.d like S91postgresql to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

Hope this will help!

Vivien