Well, I decided to see if I could get ahead of the game in case some white
knight sent me a working 8390.o. Here's what I found.

The pcmcia disk has a file called pcmcia.rdz. This file is a gzipped ext2
filesystem. I copied it off, unzipped it, and mounted it via loopback. On this
filesystem there's a file modules.cgz. This is a gzipped cpio archive. In it,
among other things, is 8390.o!

So, when I get all the aforementioned errors resulting from not finding
/tmp/pcmcia/modules/net/8390.o, it's not because that file got dropped
somewhere, but somehow the boot floppy is not mounting these things where the
install script can find them.

Any additional insights very welcome. I'd really like to try mdk7 but if I can
make rh61 work and not this, I can't carry on too much longer. Eventually I
need to get some useful work done.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Salkin