Vincent,

> Has anyone tried out the HelixCode GNOME?  Wow!  I was (and still
> am) severely impressed.

I tried it. At first I had problems but as soon as I deleted my
old gnome and enlightenment dir's (and other related ones), it
worked fine. I still get problems with it starting more than
one panel. (BTW: I installed from rpm). Now that it mostly works I
should say that it's a BIG step in the right direction. More of that
and I might switch from KDE.

> What is going to happen with Mandrake making use of this?  This should be
> included in the base Mandrake distribution as a (IMHO) replacement for the
> regular GNOME.

I really hope that Mandrake includes these packages. Better if they make
their own rpm's and put them on the update.

> Anyways, I installed and have only one problem with it right now (the
> desktop icons seem to be broken) but other than that it's
> incredible!  Really makes a difference!

Yeah. I've got the same problem.

"Definitions involving chicken heads no longer apply."
  -Jon katz