Wayne,

If you carefully observe what happens when you mount and umount a
vfat partition you will discover that the at mount time the mount
point has had its ownership and groupship changed to the user who
performed the mount, and that the permissions are changed so that the
user who mounted the partition is the ONLY user permitted to write to
it.   You will also observe that permission to change anything about
this mount point will be denied while anything is mounted to it.

This has the effect of prohibiting anyone but the mounting user to
write to that partition, presumably because FAT was never intended to
support multiple concurrent asynchronous writes.

This fact makes an absolute nonsense of Mandrake 7.0-2's attempt to
pre-mount all the vfat partitions at boot time.  To reduce their
embarrassing techno-shame, Mandrake should remove all that, and also
the crazily-named DOS mount points (in favour of mount points called
C.D.E.F.G, etc. under a /mnt/local directory, to distinguish the
local C, D, E drives from other nfs-mounted C, D, E drives from other
PCs on your network).  These would be mounted to
/mnt/<machine-name>/C, D, E mount points).

--

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Linux.