On 13 Mar, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> [sher@adsl-77-232-213 sher]$ rpm -e
> RealPlayer7 failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
> error: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
> [sher@adsl-77-232-213 sher]$

Looks like you should have been root?  Oh,well, water under the bridge
now.

> Now when I try to install the RealPlayer7 rpm, here is what I get:
>
> [root@adsl-77-232-213 sher]# rpm -Uvh RealPlayer-7_0-1_i386.rpm
> package RealPlayer-7.0-1 is already installed

Since the RPM database is now confused, you have to force it to
install.  Just type rpm -ivh --force RealPlayer-7_0-1_i386.rpm
(or Uvh whatever you prefer) and it should install it for you.

BTW, where is everyone getting these RPM's for RP7?  The Real page I
went to only had the rp7install.bin archive, with no reference to RPMs.
Doesn't really matter, since the bin installed fine...

--

Nil Carborundum Illegitimi