Dear friends:

[Running Mandrake 7.0]

I have an unusual situation on my hands having to do with trying to make
my Ethernet 3com card work in Win3.1 on VMware.

My wife and I are Russian translators, as some of you may know, and TV6
from Moscow has recently begun broadcasting live ( throughout the day, I
presume) on the Internet. Most unfortunately, they have chosen the
Redmondians' Windows Media Player as their player of choice.

I left Windows 95 after two years of nightmare and only Linux saved from
sheer insanity. I am sure many of you have had the same experience.

TV6 is the first major Russian network to broacast its live domestic
programs on the Internet, and it would be a darn shame if it were not
available to us Linux users just because it is on WMP.

I would think twice or thrice if this meant installing Win95 or 98 on
VMware. The very idea of dealing with the Win95/98 Registry makes me
want to put a gun to my head.

Win3.1, on the other hand, is a relatively easy OS to handle, even for a
non-techie like myself. And it's very easy to restore it by just
reinstalling over itself. Personally, I have little need for it (except
that we still use it on our old 486 until full Cyrillic support is
available in StarOffice and throughout Linux.

So, I installed Win3.1 (NOT Win3.11 for Works), then installed my
original Netscape 2.02 from Bellsouth, then upgraded it to Netscape
3.04. The Bellsouth Netscape version gave me two options: Standard
DIAL-UP installation or CUSTOM (for LAN users). At the time, I was using
a dial-up modem. Now, as a broadband user on Bellsouth, I am considered
by them to be on their Bellsouth LAN. I decided to go ahead and install
the dial-up version anyway, figuring that I could this way have the
option of either dial-up or broadband (as I do on Linux with my U. S.
Robotics ext 56k modem as my backup when ADSL goes down, which is quite
often).

Well, it just so happens that Microsoft has made their WMP available for
Win3.1 at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/allplayers.asp

Of course, everything hinges on whether this WMP 3.0 for Win3.1 is in
fact the equivalent of their WMP 6.4 for Win95/98.

This seems to be the case. Please correct me if I am wrong. Obviously,
if it isn't the case, then I am barking up the wrong tree. If, however,
it does play the video on TV6, then this would be a huge bonanza for
Russian scholars, teachers and students everywhere who insist on using
Linux (not too many as of this writing but I am optimistic).

I have read all the relevant documentation on enabling devices and
peripherals on the VMware site at:

http://www.vmware.com/support/linux/troubleshooting/peripherals_ts_linux.html

MAIN QUESTIONS:

1) During Installation I was asked if I wanted "bridge networking", in
fact, it was already chosen for me under "Networking." VMware Support
(see above) advised configuring the ethernet adapter and other devices
and said that it all depended on the host OS, that is, Linux. After
turning off Win3.1 and powering vmware off, as instructed, I went into
the VMware Configuration Editor. The "network bridge" option needed no
configuring. It had already been taken care of. But how do I actually
configure and connect to the Internet through Win3.1 on VMware?

2) How do I connect to the Internet on Win3.1 through Vmware? To enable
the modem and other devices, I am supposed to enter the path. But what
path, where? For instance, what path would you put for the ttyS1 modem
device? I typed "whereis ttyS1" and got nothing. Or do they want the
/home/sher/vmware/Win31 path? Well, I tried that and got an error
message when clicking on my Netscape dialer telling me that "the
communications port was not responding or was being used by another
telephy device. And should my dial-up modem be turned on first in Linux
(kpppd) or directly in Win3.1/Vmware?

3) How to do you transfer files from Linux to Windows if the files are
too big for floppies?

All my thanks in advance to all of you who would be kind enough to
respond.

Yours,

Benjamin

--