I've tried various X-windows interfaces and I am amazed to find that after
browsing through KDE, GNOME, XFCE3, WindowMaker, Afterstep, ICEWM, and
Plain_X11.. NONE of them have a windows properties selection that allows
for the editing of screen resolution!  Unless it is hidden in some quiet
corner of the X-windows design of each, there is no such utility!

I am familiar with Xconfigurator, but while using Mandrake 7.02 I have
found that my configurator will not allow me to set my resolution size
manually.. it gives me an error even though it works (sort of) if I exit
after settings have been made.  Though, I can't select 800x600 at high
resolution.. so I have to settle with 8 bit default.

Can someone please tell me why none of these wonderful X-windows programs
have a setting to change screen resolution like Windows does?  Don't get
me wrong, I am happier with Linux overall than I am with Windows.. but one
would think the Linux community would have enough brains to make things
easier to deal with than they currently are.

Ok.. gripe is over.  Thanks.

james