> Now, there is a "tdfx.o" module in the 2.3.x tree, but _not_
> in the 2.2.x
> Does that mean that XFree 4.0 might be usable on a 2.2.x kernel
> (at least the docs say so) but that the DRI component (3D hardware
> acceleration) is usable only on 2.3.x ???

I believe that is correct. I don't know for sure but I recall reading
that the DRI component
needed to coordinated with the kernel and that in 2.3.x they added dri
support. Also,
I believe that they changed quite a bit of stuff in the 2.3.x series
compared to the 2.2.x
series w/ respect to kernel structures, etc, so a kernel module for
2.3.x most likely
won't work with a 2.2.x kernel.

Sheldon.