Greetings all:

I've scoured the list (at least the messages I've received since I
subscribed) and Deja.com (usenet) but have been unable to solve this
problem.  So here goes.

I'm trying to ssh into a RedHat 6.1 server from my Mandrake 7.0 client.
I'm using the same rpm's on both that I pulled down from freshmeat.net.
I try to connect using ssh2 -l root -p 22 +C p6333.  The server then
prompts me for the password which I then enter.  Then it just sits there
and does nothing.  I can't even ctrl-c out of it.  I have to close the X
window.  If I start it with the -v option it gives me the following and
then sits there...

[ssprun1@pavilion bin]$ ssh2 -l root -p 22 -v -C p6333
Development-time debugging not compiled in.
To enable, configure with --enable-debug and recompile.
debug: connecting to p6333...
debug: entering event loop
debug: ssh_client_wrap: creating transport protocol
debug: ssh_client_wrap: creating userauth protocol
debug: Remote version: SSH-1.99-2.0.13 (non-commercial)
debug: Host key found from the database.
debug: Unable to open /home/ssprun1/.ssh2/identification
root@p6333's password:
debug: Ssh2/ssh2.c:304/client_authenticated: client_authenticated
debug: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.

And here is what shows up on the server in /var/log/messages -

Mar 23 23:05:48 p6333 sshd2[1213]: connection from "10.0.0.4"
Mar 23 23:06:18 p6333 sshd2[1318]: User root's local password accepted.
Mar 23 23:06:18 p6333 sshd2[1318]: Password authentication for user root
accepte
d.
Mar 23 23:06:18 p6333 sshd2[1318]: User root, coming from
pavilion.sprunger.com,
 authenticated.
Mar 23 23:35:53 p6333 sshd2[1318]: Remote host disconnected: Connection
closed.
Mar 23 23:35:53 p6333 sshd2[1318]: connection lost: 'Connection closed.'

I can pretty much eliminate the client because it can successfully
connect using the exact same command to an older RedHat 5.2 server.  But
the only difference in the two servers is the version of RedHat and that
fact that I had to rebuild the rpm's using the src.rpm and the --rebuild
option in rpm since my 5.2 server uses the old libc/glibc.  The only
thing I initially changed in both sshd2_config was the port number since
I have to use port 23 rathern than 22 in order to get through a firewall
at my office.  For testing I tried switching it back and testing without
a firewall but that didn't make any difference.

I've also tried two or three suggestions I did find in the deja.com
archives but so far none of those have worked.  Anyone else have any
ideas?

Cordially,
Scott Sprunger