The CD rippers CD Paranoia http://xiph.org/paranoia/index.html and CDDA2WAV
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/cdda2wav/ should
already be installed if you're using MDK7.0-2.  CDDA2WAV is much faster but if you
want some quality-control, use Paranoia.

As far as mp3 encoders... LAME http://www.sulaco.org/mp3 is somewhat fast and it's
capable of VBR encoding (CBR 128Kbps is 2.5x
speed with fast mode on.  But VBR encoding is only 0.8x speed using a 333Mhz Celeron).
 Bladeenc http://hem.bredband.net/tord is
another one to use.  Then there's Xing ($20) http://www.xingtech.com/, it's fast as
heck (approx. 4.5x speed w/ 333Mhz Cel) and is
also able to do VBR.

To piece the ensemble together, check out Gripper http://www.nostatic.org/grip .  It
will run all of the above along with having
cddb.  I like how it can shrink down to a small size with a handy "LCD" progress
indicator.  Then there's RipperX
http://www.digitallabyrinth.com/linux/ripperX/ , it's not as pretty as Gripper but it
does have a few more buttons to push for your
encoding variables.  Gripper doesn't including track numbers when auto-naming mp3
files as a default... all you have to do is add %t
into the configuration.  Both of them will auto-make directories for you but RipperX
only goes one level deep.

I recently spoke to Realnetworks and they told me that there are no plans for a Linux
Realjukebox.  Whether or not that trues and if
anyone cares....

And finally, Knapster http://knapster.netpedia.net/index.html is pretty handy in
locating tons of MP3s for you to 'sample' and also
let others 'sample' yours.

Good Luck,
Seve