Hi,
if you cant get to another x-session with ctrl-alt f2 etc ...
this may also help - I've used it to rescue my system on occasion.
Get a mini linux distribution like tomsrtbt (www.toms.net/rb) build it on
another machine.
Boot your system with this distribution installed on a floppy (boot from floppy
enabled in bios).
Once loaded, modify the /etc/fstab in tomsrtbt to reflect your hard drive's
partition location (you will have to use vi to do it):

/dev/hd? /mnt/yourmountpoint ext2 defaults 1 1
(where hd? is the partition you are interested in)

make the mount point:  mkdir /mnt/yourmountpoint

mount it: mount /dev/hd? /mnt/yourmountpoint

cd to the directory you need and edit those pesky files back to where they
should be.