On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 14:35 +0200, Burkhard Zombronner wrote:

> I am facing a problem on installing Mandrake 7.0 from iso-image:
>
> On starting installation the ncr895 is detected correctly and the menu starts
> and i am able to select language, keyboard and installation method. After the
> message: Please wait, looking for existing packages , I get following error:
>
> error occured, missing some base packages!!!
>
> Installation, that mean copiing stops.
>
> Iam using the NCR 895 U2W, attached are a plextor cddrive 40X and Yahama
> CD-Burner on a 50pin narrow cable. Just in case it helps: RedHat 6.1
> installation works also Win NT4 (But I would like Mandrake 7 to go there not
> any other stuff!!!)

Sorry, can't help you. I just got the same error and want to
give some more details:

1. I installed 7.0 from a PowerPack I picked up on Feb 2 in
Madrake's office. Installation went smooth and easy. At that
time I used a Toshiba 6102 (atapi cdrom).

2. The other day I bought a Plextor SCSI cdrom (same as
Burkhard's!) to match my SCSI Plextor CD-RW writer.

3. I tried to install a second instance of Air on a different
partition for tests. First I tried to install from a burned copy
of the original installation cd. I got the same error as
Burkhard.
Then I tried the original installation cd and still got the same
error.

4. After the error ocurred the install process doesn't hang. I
got the option to klick on OK to close the message box. Then the
install process tries to move on to let me choose packages for
installation. It shows just one package with size=0. Now I
marked that for installation. The next screen showed this
package but as the size is 0 it cannot be installed. I get the
options OK and BACK. So I cannot do anything but click on the
End Installation button on the lefthand menue. The installation
program quits, the base system shuts down and the computer waits
to get rebooted or switched off.

You may see at once that there are two things in common with
Burkhard's and my stories:

Useage of Mandrake 7.0
Useage of the Plextor SCSI cdrom drive.

As I installed v.7.0 before without errors it should not be the
faulty part. But I cannot imagine the Plextor drive being
"unsupported" by Mandrake. It is by no means "old" hardware
(it's fairly new and it's scsi!).
BTW: I use a Dawicontrol scsi host with a ncr53c8xx chip. The
host gets detected and works ok (otherwise I couldn't burn any
cd).

Anybody any ideas?

wobo
--
GPG-Fingerprint: FE5A 0891 7027 8D1B 4E3F  73C1 AD9B D732 A698 82EE
For Public Key mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with Subject: GPG-Request