I'm the original poster and here is the deal.  I finally got mine working but
there was one remaining problem: if you exit X then you will have to reboot
because console mode will be corrupted until you do.  Here is what I did to get
mine working...

The install installs and sets up the SVGA or S3 server which works but causes the
corruption you're experiencing.  I managed to find somewhere that I should try
the S3V server.  So I copied or downloaded the XFree86-S3V-3.3.6-4mdk.i586.rpm
package from Mandrake and then installed it using rpm -ivh XFree86... etc.

Then I ran Xconfigurator --noauto.  And went through the X setup again.  The
--noauto option should allow you to manually select which X server to use -
select the S3V you just installed.  Then select a valid video mode.  I'm using
1024 x 768 but I can't remember how many colors.  Then I would reboot and login
at the console and test it by typing startx or startx &.  If it works you can
modify your setup to bring up X everytime you boot from somewhere in linuxconf.
I think that should do it.

Sorry for the delay in the reply but I work in downtown Fort Worth and have been
out of work since Tuesday evening when the tornado came through.  I'm lucky to be
here since I was on my way out to my car in our parking garage when things turned
nasty.  I didn't know there was even a tornado coming until I got up to the 8th
floor of the garage where my car was.  The elevator doors opened and I could see
it coming about .5 mile or so away.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cordially,
Scott Sprunger