On Sat, 01 Apr 2000, you wrote:

| When setting up Samba, is there an option to convert all current linux usernames and
|passwords to Samba users?  Thank you.

Assuming you are talking to Win98/WinNT clients and not win95a or
win3.1 clients:

 [from ENCRYPTION.txt]:

cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

*BUT* (and the file doesn't make this very clear; it took me a while to
figure it out)

you must still use "smbpasswd" as root for each user to set the initial
passwords, and then they can change them to the something else
themselves, or you let them change them from their Win-boxes by setting
the password-sync features in the smb.conf file.

"Brian, the man from babbleon-on"               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                         http://www.babbleon.org
Support http://www.eff.org.                     Support decss defendents.
Support http://www.programming-freedom.org.     Boycott amazon.com.