That really *is* odd.  Are you sure that this is consistent,
reproducable behavior?

Is this an ancient printer, perhaps?

I had an old one that could be either tractor-fed or sheet fed (like a
typewriter), and if switched into sheet-feed mode it would do that.

Is it possible that the linux driver is putting it into sheed-fed mode
but you have tractor-fed paper in there (does anybody still use that
stuff?)

Definately a shot in the dark here!