On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Volker Schlecht wrote:

> > I just reinstalled Mandrake 7.0-2 to clean up the GNOME desktop and some
> > other things I messed up.  Now GNOME is horrendously slow!  Everything
> > takes about 10x as long as it used to and I don't think I did anything
> > differently between now and when I installed it before...  any ideas?
>
> Check the permissions on the .gnome directory and the .gtkrc in your
> home directory (and while you're at it, .kderc as well.. ) whether they're
> owned by root, and if yes chown them to you.

They're owned by me.  After fiddling for the longest time and doing
another fresh install, I found it was the permissions on esd, and I had
sound enabled.  Changed the permissions to be executable by everyone and
now GNOME is back up to snuff.  I miss the helix-GNOME tho.. any word on
proper Mandrake RPMs for it yet?

> The same problem slowed down GNOME significantly for me when I had
> Mandrake 7 freshly installed.

Well, that wasn't the problem, but thanks for the note!

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721