Civileme said:
>  Deleting the line changes the X behavior--basically breaking it.

Evidently not irreparably, since startx starts X.

>  I finally reproduced the problem.
>
>  High security
>
>  user login
>
>  su'ed in a Konsole
>
>  Set /etc/inittab line to
>
>  id:3:initdefault:
>
>  logged out and rebooted--finding myself in X
>
>  cat /var/run/runlevel.dir
>
>  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
>
>  kudzu looks at /etc/inittab and boots to RL5 if it sees 5
>
>  linuxconf is called by a symlink called /sbin/askrunlevel and looks in
>  /var/run/runlevel.dir
>
>  Apparently su-ing in High security level enables the permission to edit
>  a file but not to make linuxconf do its thing.....
>
>  So they are out of sync and runlevel 5 is a logical OR of their
>  individual directives.
>
>  It appears the remedy is to use linuxconf to set your runlevel--under
>  Misc Servives on the opening screen.

Wow, what a combination of factors to duplicate the problem. I did my original
install with medium security and automatic X start. I haven't changed the
security. During my attempts to stop X autostart, I have been logging on as
root... but of course, X was starting before the system knew that.

I had either used linuxconf to switch to 3 or when I ran linuxconf it was
already set to 3... and X was still autostarting.

My impression is that the auto X continued whether or not kudzu was executed. I
turned kudzu off because it slows the boot, and I know I don't have any new
hardware. I have it on right now, because I was recently trying to get my IDE
cd-writer to work (another long story).
--
Lane
____