Actually, we've *already* solved his problem in a practical sense.
He's got his system operating as he wants it.

He's just indulging us in trying to solve the mystery of why it was
acting oddly in the first place, and a re-install won't accomplish
*that*!

Also, w/r/t to your previous comment on the same topic, he pasted in a
big of his init script.  He seems to start at runlevel 3 and then get
mysteriously switched to runlevel 5.

Nonetheless, pasting in his entire /etc/inittab and /etc/lilo.conf
files is probably good advice . . .

--
"Brian, the man from babbleon-on"               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                         http://www.babbleon.org