On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Several minutes after boot I got the message:
> eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status \
> e000.
> What does it mean? This machine still
> independent from the LAN but has a NIC (3com
> Vortex or Boomerang)

It means that it's trying to talk to a network, and since
you don't have a network, the NIC times out trying to talk
to the non-existant network. Ignore it, or better yet, turn
off the LAN stuff in the startup sequence. This could
probably be done with Netcfg or Linuxconf. But, you'd need
to be root to use both of these tools to change that
setting. Just turn the Ethernet stuff OFF completely and
you should never get that message again.
        John