i used elftoaout and net'booted the kernel.  It's
still failing in the same area of the kernel, which is
interesting...

>> esp0: IRQ3,7e0 SCSI ID 7 Clk 40Mhz CCF=8 TOut 167  NCR53C9XF (espfast)
>> IRQ: Trying to share non-PCI bucket
>> Kernel panic: Cannot acquire ESP irq line
>> Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

hmm..  i'm beginning to think that Ultra's aren't that great of a box
anymore..

Thanks for your help.. i'm not sure what else to try at this point, and it
doesn't
seem like there are many other souls out there who are attempting/running
this.

Leif