I don't know about your rmmod problem, but I can explain you the disk
activity.

I suppose you've installed the package anacron, that is like cron, except
that it executes commands the better way it can. I mean, if your machine was
powered off at the time you said you wanted to synchronize your machine with
a time host, then, with a normal crontab, if you boot you won't synchronize
at all except if you let your machine run several hours (just the time to
get the exact date when the cron job has to execute). With anachron, all the
jobs that had to execute during the out-of-power time will execute after
boot time, and it will of course execute others jobs as would do a normal
cron.

So, the disk activity you hear is simply the anacron job to update the
updatedb, so that you can do a locate file with always accurate data.

Do a man anacron one day !

[Sorry if what I say here is not completely accurate but I've never done the
man myself ;-) I've simply read the sum-up of the anacron package, thought
it was a very good idea, and wondered the same questions about disk activity
after start up ! ;-)]

Regards

Mathieu