Sean Armstrong wrote:
> How do you set up a Null modem serial connection? I connected a null modem
> serial cabel between my workstation and my laptop. I then used the pppd
> command according to the HOWTO. I got an error back saying that the IP
> address was bad. I used the local IP 127.0.0.2 for my workstation and the
> local IP address 127.0.0.1 for my laptop. These were the Ip addresses
> located in my host file. I'm not the best networking person, especially when
> it come to command line, all I want to do is to make a connection between my
> laptop and my home computer so that I can share files. How do I go about
> doing this?

You cannot use 127.0.0.x at all, that's reserved by the TCP/IP
layer (in the kernel) for _local_ (read: internal, e.g. inter process)
communication.

You should use other IP addresses, probably in the reserved
"local" range (e.g. 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z)
I guess that you have to pass _both_ addresses to the pppd
acting as server (the other one will just accept whatever
address is passed to it, just as it does when you use a
dial-up Internet connexion to your ISP).

If you don't use PPP at all, you can use SLIP and in that case
you'll have to do ifconfig yourself on device sl0

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France