On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, you wrote:

> > What about your mixer settings? Have you adjusted them in
> > kmix? (Sorry...I don't recall the beginning of the thread.)
> >
> I've adjusted them, but that shouldn't change the fact that the sound
> card doesn't work under Gnome should it?

One thing to keep in mind is that KDE looks for "soundcard"
(I think) and virtually everything else looks for "sound."
See if you can find a "soundcard" file on your system and
see if there's a "sound" file in the same directory. If
not, try creating a symlink to (I think) /dev/sound from
/dev/soundcard.
        John