Sean Armstrong wrote:

> I have my work computer hooked up to the network. But I can't get SAMBA to
> notice any of the other NT computers on the network. It used to work fine
> before I upgraded it. Now during bootup I keep seeing error messages dealing
> with rc.d files that give the file name followed by [: =: unary operation
> expected. I've got no clue what this is about. I can connect to the internet
> OK but if I try to ping the nameserver, I get one response and then the Ping
> command seems to freeze up. When I try to use gnomba, I can see all of the
> different computers on the network, but if itry to click on one,even the one
> I have a share on, gnomba freezes up. Any ideas?

Hmn.

You need to go back a few steps. Attack one problem at a time; let's
start with Samba.

It looks like you've broken your Samba install -- that is, you didn't do
a clean upgrade. Did you remove your old version before you put in the
new version? (I suspect this because it sounds like your scripts are in
disarray).

First, let's see if you can ping the other hosts on your network. Get
the IP addresses for the hosts you are having trouble with, and ping
them. We need to make sure that you can talk to them properly.

Second, make sure you don't have any mounted SMB volumes. Unmount them
if you do.

Third, use smbclient to see if you can look at the hosts in question:

# smbclient -L hostname

If there is a problem, it will return errors.

Try this first, and then get back to us.

-Stephen-