Brian....have you checked your settings in Win98 networking?
Like the gateway ip address, is it still there?  When a change
in the network environment occurs Windows is famous for losing
settings and losing links to drivers.  A good idea might be to
remove the tcp/ip bindings to your network card and then
reinstalling them (you'll need your windows installation cd for
that).

Alan