My machine has both gcc and egcs packages installed, and I've noticed that
egcs doesn't install any binaries besides egcs-version.  All it does is
install the headers and libraries.  Supposedly according to Linus, we
should be compiling the kernels with either gcc 2.70.x or egcs 1.1.2.  And
we definitely should not compile with gcc 2.95.1.  Mandrake comes with gcc
2.95.2, which has been known to work better than 2.95.1.  I know that the
gcc project is now implementing egcs into the project, but what's the
point of installing the egcs headers only if gcc won't use egcs libraries?
Does gcc use egcs libraries?  Please shed some light on this.  Thanks.

John Kim
Linux System Engineer @ ASL - visit us as www.aslab.com