Mike Corbiel wrote:
      However, one piece of documentation I came across yesterday said
that this
      kind of problem is easier to avoid by avoiding RPMS and instead
using
      .tar.gz downloads, and then running configure, make and install.
Actually,
      this is the same piece of documentation first referred to, above.
It said
      that RPMs are supposedly, considerably unreliable in this way,
whereas
      downloading .tar.gz archives is considerably  more reliable.

This sounds pretty odd to me.  I mean, if you get the latest sources and
rebuild everything, then it should be reliable in that you know you
built for your system with the same libraries, but RPMs should work
well, too, most of the time.  And RPMS can contain before and after
scripts to fix things up in case there's additional work to do.

      Of course, one could always try these guidelines, or installing
RPMs using
      the --nodeps (skip dependency checking) option, but I wouldn't do
this
      without first backing up the system.  On the other hand, it may
not be
      necessary to backup the system, because if the --nodeps allows
package
      installation and then apps don't work, then the package(s) can
probably be
      removed without any problems.  I don't know installation of RPMs
well
      enough to be able to say this for sure, though.

Well, if you *only* do --nodeps that's probably true, but if you use
--force you can get in trouble: the un-install could un-install stuff
that was really installed already.

You might try rpmdrake; it can resolve dependencies and install them all
automatically.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                         http://www.babbleon.org