okay, i figured out what is wrong.  my hard drive has all of a sudden become
read only.  i didn't think this was possible, but here i am.
what i don't understand is how it got that way, and how to fix it.  any help
would be great.

also, i have looked in my fstab file.  for some reason, only stuff for the
zip drive is there.  now, considering i don't know very much, i think that
that is a major problem.