On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> hi,
> i have linux mandrake 5.3 and windows in my machine .I want to know how
> configure lilo for that windows is the os by default.Thank you for your help

Well, I only have Linux on this machine, but I should be
able to demonstrate what you need to do.
First of all, open a console window and SU to root. (or
open a "root console.") This is, of course, assuming
you're in X. If in console just switch to a different VT
and log in as root.

Then, as root, open /etc/lilo.conf in your favorite editor.
(I like "joe" myself.)

Here's my /etc/lilo.conf:\

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0smp
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0smp.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5
        append="noapic"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux-up
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5
        append="noapic"

Notice the "default" line? Yours will probably say the same
as mine. Change the default to whatever the label is for
Windows, save the lilo.conf and execute /sbin/lilo (as
root.) That will cause LILO to boot to Windows by default.

Oh, you DO realize you're a bit behind.... there's been a
LOT of BIG upgrades/changes to Linux in general since
Mandrake 5.x.... Depending on your situation, you may want
to consider upgrading...
        John