On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Ron Johnson wrote:
> I'm confused about cron on my souped up LM6.0 system.  I have
> a file /etc/crontab that contains this:

> % cat /etc/crontab
> SHELL=/bin/bash
  sets the default shell for the cronjobs to bash.

> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
  sets the default path for cronjobs.

> MAILTO=root
  tells cron where to mail it's output.

> HOME=/
  used to chroot cron jobs, I believe.

> # run-parts
  this is a comment :)
> 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
> 22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
> 42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
  cron jobs: the first says, on the first minute of every hour, every day,
every month, every day of the week, run all the scripts in
/etc/cron.hourly.  The second says, on the second minute of the fourth
hour of every day of every month, on every day of the week, run the
scripts in /etc/cron.daily.  And so on, and so forth.

You know, this is detailed (maybe not so clearly) in crontab(3).  All,
except for the run-parts bit, which just runs every executable in a
directory.  I don't know if it's recursive or not.

> how does this relate to the files in /var/spool/cron that
> are created by crontab(1).

I believe those are personal cron scripts, while these are system cron
scripts.

-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>