Are you running the smbclient command from root or schellenberger?

>From any account try: smbclient //elmo/apps -U schellenberger -N

Of course use a valid //server/share.

A null password account from my smbpasswd files looks like:

michael:506:AAD3B435B51404EEAAD3B435B51404EE:31D6CFE0D16AE931B73C59D7E0C089C
0:[U          ]:LCT-38EA8C42:

and works.

The NO PASSWORDXXXXXX only works with the old smbpasswd file entry type.
Try:

michael:505:NO
PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:Michael:/home
/michael:/bin/bash

Of course, change the account id, and numeric id.  Make SURE there are 32
positions for the password!

And it won't work from Windows if the smb account is null password but the
Windows account has a password.

Hope this helps,

Bill