I have a similiar experience , so far on two machines using three
diferent cd drives I get these results
        Booting from the cd the installer dies just after initialising
the cd at the third selection option
        Booting from dos with autoboot installer dies trying to
initialise the cd
        Booting from a floppy gets the install done but after at least
six installs I have never found -any- combination of alphanumerics
that was accepted as a root password. That does't mean one doesn't
exist, just that I got tired of trying.
        My supplier (LSL.com.au) also replaced the cd twice.
                I gave up. Any one want some coasters?