Steve,

We will assume you have one physical hard drive, "/dev/hda", and that windoze is on
mounted on "/dev/hda1" (your first partition). Using the install program, disk druid,
create mount points, "/boot" for the boot records (keep this below cylinder 1024 to
play it safe, and it needs no more than 10 to 15MB), create "/ "and "/usr" for system
files (give these as much as possible), create "/usr/local" for some non-commercial
programs (a few hundred MB if you have it),
create "/opt" for some commercial programs (again, a few hundred MB if you have it to
spare), and create a swap mount equal to your RAM, give the rest of the space to
"/home". These parameters are very much preferential setup values, and many of us have
our own thinking on this setup but what is outlined here is a very simple approach,
and can be used until you get better acquainted with a UNIX system. Good luck, and
most importantly, have fun............

Craig

Steve Olson wrote:

> I know this will probably spark a huge debate, BUT:
>
> I have a 20gb drive, and am already running Micro$oft Windows 98.
>
> Although a newbie to Linux, I know PCs very well, and have worked in the industry
>for several years.
>
> My question is this, I have about 6-8GB to give over to Linux, and I would like to
>know what the best way to bust it up for partitioning and mounting; IE I would like a
>list of partition sizes and mount points that you fairly efficient for a utilitarian
>machine. In learning Linux, I want to dabble in everything, and tinker with it all,
>including a web server at some point. Nothing large-scale or fancy, just a setup that
>will give me enough room to play around.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Olson
begin:vcard
n:Woods;Craig
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Celtic Pride, Inc.;Client/Server Technologies
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:IT Consultant
x-mozilla-cpt:;0