Deryk Barker wrote:

> Thus spake Brian T. Schellenberger ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>

> > Fascinating.
> >
> > The behavior about which you are complaining is not compliant with
> > normal Unix behavior, but I've verified it:  A normal user can't chown a
> > file, even if he initially owns it and is attempting to give it away.
> >
> > My recollection of normal Unix behavior--and I've definately verified it
> > for HP/UX, so I know I'm not just dreaming--is that you can give a file
> > away but you can't take one.
> >
> > The behavior of Mandrake 7.0's chown is clearly wrong; does anybody know
> > why it happens?
>
> I don't think it's wrong. How would you like to have a user write a
> setuid script and then make you the owner?

That's *exactly* what *he* should be able to.  So long as *I* can't me
me the owner of "his* files, I don't see the problem.

You should be able to do what you want with your own files, including
giving them to somebody else, without having to run to the sysadmin to
do it.  IMHO.

And on HP-UX I could chown to "nobody", who is definately not in my
"r+d" group, so that's not it.

Also, I was in my home directory when running the test both places, so
that's not it, either.

GNU vs. real Unix is my best guess . . . I prefer Unix in this regard
myself.

Does anybody happen to have a FreeBSD duel boot?  I'm curious about how
it works there.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org