Last Saturday I when I tried to send email using Kmail with
File|Settings|Network set to SMTP, localhost, port 25, I got an
error message "Cannot open SMTP connection to host localhost for
sending".  For quite some time (years) I've been using Kmail/SMTP.

   I changed Kmail's option from 'SMTP' to 'Sendmail' and was
immediately able to send mail.  I have no idea what caused SMTP
to suddenly stop working, or even where to look to fix it.  I
have read the 'mail' howto, and searched the Mdk mailing list
archives to no avail.

   Can somebody point me in the right direction for getting SMTP
working again.  I have a problem with using the 'sendmail' option
in Kmail because it instantly puts mail in the 'sent mail' box,
even if I don't have a connection to my ISP.  IOW's there's no
indication that the mail is being sent, or queued for later as
there is with Kmail's SMTP option.  Besides, it's bothering me
what I might've done to break SMTP.

   FWIW, I use Staroffice for reading news groups. It's set to
SMTP for mail, and it hasn't had any problems.

   TIA,
--
..     Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]