On Tue, 23 May 2000, James wrote:
> At 12:00 each night, my installation of Mandrake 7.02 makes a security
> check on all things.  Sometimes it automatically changes ownership of
> files that it thinks are vulnerable or dangerous.  Tonight at 12:00 it
> changed all my "Group Unowned Files" to "nogroup" and suddenly I get the
> error
>
> "alert: cannot start: unable to access queue directory"
>
> when I try to run the qmail rc file.
>
> So I manually make the directory accessible, then try to run ./rc again
> (from /var/qmail) and get this error:
>
> "alert: cannot start: unable to open mutex"
>
> Am I going to have to reinstall Mandrake with the lowest security setting
> to keep it from meddling in my qmail settings?  What the heck is "mutex?"
>
> james

James,
        There is a good section dealing with "MSEC", and the levels you can
choose from, in the User Guide & Reference Manual accessible from the "docs"
icon on the KDE desktop or via /usr/docs/mandrake/en/userguide/index.html
        I changed mine to run at 02:00 because I'm often still using the
computer at midnight.
        Check the e-mail for 'root' as this is the default output of the cron
job and it will tell you what files have been modified.
        Catch ya,
        Muzza.
--
Linux - The ultimate Anti-Virus solution for Windows!