Ah! OK, then what I think is going on is that the scsi module is not loading
which is why when fstab got to the lines to load /dev/sdxx it died. When I
remove the /dev/sdxx lines it boots normally.

diskdrake must have created mount points /test1 and /test2 but nothing was
ever mounted there so they were just normal directories.

well shit. ;-)

How do I get the kernel to load the scsi module before it reads /ect/fstab ?

Thanks,
Gavin