Probably the biggest problem I have in Linux is getting things that aren't
pre-installed to work. It doesn't matter if it is tar'ed or RPM'ed, most of
the time various things I download just don't work. It will complain that
some dependency isn't met, and even after you go get the required file it
still doesn't work. Some people claim that this is fixed in Debain Linux and
its varients, but I have never used them so I don't know. Linux needs a
standardized installation system. If you are missing something you should be
told exactly what you are missing and where you can get the required file.
Things like shockwave should be much easier to use as well. If you are
wondering what all I have tried that doesn't work a short list would be:
everybuddy, gaim, the gnome text editor, Myth2, etc. Finally, I am not
asking you how to make these things work, I know all the handy dandy command
line commands, I am asking for an improment in an area that Linux is sorely
lacking. And to all of you who have no problem getting things to install and
work, good for you.
Payne