Could grep be any more difficult to figure out?  I'll admit I'm new to
Linux, but so far everything I've set out to do (set up a server, set up
sendmail, set up Apache, set up PHP, etc...) I have accomplished fairly
easy.  Except for grep...  All I want to do is search all the *.c file
recursively starting from a specific directory for a specific string...

grep -r -e "function something" -f *.c

Isn't that what this is supposed to do?  Instead of getting a listing of
files containing the text I'm searching for and what line number it appears
on, I get pages after page after page of 'stuff', nothing of which has
anything to do with what I'm searching for.

Yeah, I know... RTFM...  I've read, and re-read the man pages for grep over
and over and over, and so far it has remained gobblygook...  The one thing
missing in all man pages thus far are some useful examples...

SO could somebody enlighten me about this mystery that is grep?

Joseph (Joe) Sheble
a.k.a. Wizaerd
Wizaerd's Realm
http://www.wizaerd.com
3D Art, ColdFusion, Illustration, Canvas
a little bit of everything...
ColdFusion Developer
Zanova, Inc.
http://www.ZanovaInc.com