On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 12:37:28PM -0700, thus spake Wizaerd:
> I've got a linux box I'm trying to install sendmail from the RPM, and it
> tells me I have a conflict with postfix.  I tried uninstalling postfix and
> it told me it was needed for mutt.  SO I tried to uninstall mutt (all of
> this using kpackage BTW) and it said 'mutt' specifies multiple packages and
> will not allow me to get rid of it...
>
> So how do I get sendmail installed and how do I remove postfix and mutt?

Hey, it's time to be brutal.  Uninstall postfix telling kpackage
to ignore the dependencies - if Mutt is your only problem then
it's no problem!  To persuade the machine that postfix is really
gone you may need to remove a link to it in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d -
otherwise when sendmail trys to start up at boot-time you get a
cute little message "Postfix is running - I die before my Lord" -
and sendmail gives up the ghost - absolutely infuriating till you
find out how to kill it.

If you want to use Mutt, and it's terrific, then it will work
just as well with sendmail.  Well, that't how I do it having
utterly failed to persuade postfix to work!   There is what looks
like some good stuff on Postfix on mandrakeuser.org.

Can't imagine that anything important depends on Mutt - you could
probably delete that too with --nodeps.  If you're not sure, tell
us what the packages are

Having made up your mind about all that just install sendmail!

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *