leith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a problem installing helix-gnome.  The instructions are straight
> forward. After logging on as root, I ran the script and after download
> was complete I got these messages.  Is there something wrong???
>

> Installer extracted into /tmp/installer.2299. Running....
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: local not supported by C library
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
> ==>Cleaning up temporary files...done.

The root user on your machine does not have permission to start X-based
applications on your screen. To fix this you need to do two things:

1) (As the user you started X with) type "xhost localhost"
2) As the root user before you run the go-gnome script type "export DISPLAY=:0"

Number 1 says to your X server that any user is allowed to display
programs as long as they are on the localhost (Your machine), if you
care about security you should probably do "xhost -localhost" after the
install to turn this off again

Number 2 says that any X-based applications you run in you current shell
they should contact display number 0 on the local machine to appear
on. (By the way this will only work if you run bash as your shell, other
shells set variables in different ways ...)

This should solve your problem

Regards
Lee
--