I reported this bug with 7.1 beta3 more than a week ago but I see it is
also present in the final 7.1 (Helium).

I did an "expert" install of Mandrake 7.1 (Helium) choosing practically
everything minus tetex, databases and some special development packages
which I don't need.

The bug:
The ICONS on the GNOME DESKTOP are generic ones (sheet, folder, piston
...) and can't be changed, and URL shortcuts don't work.

Where is the problem:
Strange but the bug seems to be related to package
g-print-0.2-5mdk.i586.rpm.
If g-print is already installed when a user first time uses gnome the
symptoms appear.

Solution:
Uninstall g-print, delete .gnome .gnome-desktop and .gome-private
directories from your home and relogin in gnome. This time everything
will be fine.

The problem reappears if you reinstall g-print and create a new user or
delete your gnome related directories and relogin. I checked it many
times on two different computers with Mandrake 7.1 and the bug is 100%
reproductible.

Can anybody else reproduce this?

--
Elemér Vass