Well, lets see :

my system is a Celeron 366 with 64Megs RAM, All in Wonder Pro,
Realtek cheapy network card, Yamaha SAx sound card built into the
KA-6100 via chipset motherboard.  USB (for scanner) that doesn't work.
ATAPI IDE (Acer, I think) 36X CDrom drive, Three western digital drives
1.6G, 10.2G and 540MB, running mode 4 on all IDEs but the 540MB drive.
HP5000 printer that works with alternate drivers in Linux.

Dual boot system, Windows 98 on C: drive (1.6G) and Linux sharing the
10.2G with a single Windows partition on D: drive.
I have a /, /home, /swap, and /boot partition for linux.  Lilo boot loader on C.

I started out with major problems with sound and modem due I believe to
the via chipset.  My Jim figured out the problem, I was going to settle for
no sound as long as I could get to the internet :)  But he figured it out.
Now I have no problems going between Windoze and Linux, cold or warm
boot and everything remains the same.  It was a major chore...but he did it.

I usually have not had a problem with installation of RPMs, although there
have been a few.  I have not had much trouble with tar/gz either.  And my
compilers work great.  I too have most of the CD installed :)

I think I have been lucky with that to make up for the major brain cramp it gave
me trying to figure out what went wrong with the stupid sound and modem.
It was a major problem with PnP and non PnP devices...and Jim won!
He put the computer through all kinds of contortions it had never seen before.
Course he did make Windows keep the settings that Linux wanted and
then gave Linux a (ISAPNP) lobotomy after he got a configuration Linux liked

Now both Windoze and Linux keep the configuration instead of getting wishy-
washy every time I would go into windows and back to Linux, even from a cold
boot.  They can never change the settings again. I hope :) Both Windows and
Linux must abide by the settings they agreed upon.  Just like errant children!

Anyway, that's my story.

Bambi