Eric Peters writes:
 > Hey gang
 >
 > I'm sitting here installing 7.1 on my boss's laptop which is a dell inspiron
 > 7000 with an ATI Mach64 w/ 4 megs of memory. but when I choose any lcd panel
 > or monitor the test screen dose come up but the panel is acting like the
 > refresh rate is way low (i.e. when you see computer monitors on the TV) any
 > ideas?
 >
 > cheers,
 > Eric Peters  Mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > System Admin Network Operations
 > Inherent Technologies Inc.
 > office (503)224-6751 ext 224

When I installed Mandrake 6 on my Inspiron 7000 last summer, I found
the information at http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/ to be
most helpful.  My video is an ATI Rage LT Pro.  I believe that Dell
has used several different video cards in the Inspiron. I had to
downgrade my bios to an earlier version and use a patched
XF86_Mach64.  However, I'm currently using XF86_Mach64 from
XFree86-Mach64-3.3.6-4mdk (unpatched Mandrake 7.0), although my bios
is still the downgraded version.

Dell was no help at all.  Their response was the the Inspiron 7000
is a Windows machine --- it even says on the case "designed for
Microsoft Windows."  Nevertheless, Linux really works fine on it,
in spite of the difficulty in getting the video to work.

You might also find http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/
useful.

Good Luck,
Shelby Brumelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>