Tis a bit of a minor flaw in 7.1 that the graphics installer
doesn't complain much.

I have seen "My computer resets right after 'in second stage
install'"

"freezes at selecting the mouse"

or "refuses to boot"

or "Shows the opening screen and resets"

I reproduced each of these errors last night.

I had a client who wanted a 7.0 or 7.1 install.  I brought a set
of helium CDs with me and visited for some serious computing and
basic instruction in linux.

Well, the graphics screen came up and then the computer
restarted.

Then the graphics screen came up and got to "second stage
install" and ceased responding.

R & R (remove and reseat) cables, and we got to mouse selection
and C_R_A_S_H

Then it just plain could not see the (bootable)  CD for the next
three tries

Now we are using my drive that I KNOW will read the
furschlugginer CDs--Reset after displaying first screen.

He's debating whether to nail the CDs to his garage wall or to
slide them into the trash can while I'm opening the BIOS.

Default Bus speed and PCI Bus speed--500MHz k6-2.

I tried scaling back to 95MHz FSB from the panel--died during
reset.

Pulled a jumper to hard set it to 95MHz

* * * * * * Flawless Install * * * * * * * *

It was an FIC PAG 2130--the fifth I have seen and the third I
have had to underclock to get proper performance.  (Yes, I had
replaced the memory with a certified stick).  His memory also
worked fine at 95.

Yes, he had Win98 running on it--sometimes he could stay up 30
minutes at a time.  He crashed a lot during games.

And he figured that performance was normal.

Civileme