From: "James Sparenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] kernel 2.2.16-4mdk

I've had the same problem on occasion.  Do this  From the command line
Type  rpm -Uvh  kernel.xxx.rpm --force  (note the two dashes before force
and that kernell.xxx is whatever you kernel rpm is)  Then go to /boot and
make sure the sim links are complete.  To do this do ln -sf
/boot/System.map.xxx (new map) /boot/System.map  and then ln -sf
/boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz.xxx   This will repair the sym links in that
directory. (type ls -l to verify that they are correct)  Finally rerun lilo
by typing lilo at a prompt.  All should be well at that point and you
should be able to reboot no problem.  The only other thing I've encountered
has been that the rpm sometimes gives the new kernel a "name" that is too
long if so just edit /etc/lilo.conf and give it a new shorter name.  (bob,
newkernel, foo whatever)