Gavin Clark wrote:

> on 6/18/00 7:43 PM, John J. LeMay Jr.  wrote:
>
> > For weeks I have been plagued with errors when trying to install Linux on my
> > new machine with it's Adaptec 2940U2W and Seagate LVD drives. Previously I
> > would
> > receive errors such as:
> >
> > SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> >
> > and
> >
> > SCSI host 0 ch 0 reset pid 0 timed out - trying harder
> >
> > and
> >
> > aborting command due to timeout: pid 0 scsi 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 0x00 00 00
> > 00 00 00
> >
> > and
> >
> > host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
> >
> > This would appear to loop indefinitely (I did not wait "indefinitely" to find
> > out!). Unfortunately, no one seemed able to determine the actual problem.
> > Besides installing 7.1, I had also:
> >
> > * Installed an active terminator on the end of the SCSI chain, LVD side.
> >
> > * Set terminiation to "auto" on the adapter, both Ultra and Ultra2 sides.
> >
> > * Enabled "term power to SCSI chain" on BOTH of the LVD drives I had
> > installed.
> >
> > * Enabled termination on the CDROM residing on the Narrow/Ultra side.
> >
> > I hope this message makes it to anyone else having this same problem!
> >
> > John LeMay Jr.
> > Senior Enterprise Consultant
> > NJMC, LLC.
> >
> > Mandrake Linux 7.0 (2.2.14)  /  Polarbar Mailer 1.16c
> > JDK 1.1.8 IBM build l118-20000515
> >

> just as an addendum; there are two things I can think of that aren't on your
> list:
>
> 1. make sure the jumpers are set to different settings on the drives
>
> 2. check that the BIOS is set to detect SCSI
>
> I have Mandrake Linux 7.0 (2.2.14) installed with the Adaptec 2940U2W with 2
> IBM U2W drives. I installed it on an third IDE drive. the installer hung on
> trying to detect the card or load the driver the first couple of times but I
> did get it to go after I changed the jumpers and the BIOS settings.
>
> also
> the 2940U2W has it's own BIOS that you can drop into, it has utilities to
> check the bus and drives.
>
> Gavin

I fear you will find Adaptec support WORSE, not better in kernel
2.4.  Seems some folks purporting to be Adaptec officials and
with credentials suggesting the same made an appointment to work
with one of the kernel authors...  And then they no-showed.  The
kernel traffic articles on linuxcare recounted the circumstance
and described it as yet another example of Adaptec going out of
its way to be uncoooperative.

THe 2940U2W controller has how many different firmware versions?
Adaptec knows but it isn't telling, as usual.  This particular
brand is a nightmare to keep up with.  I recall something like 17
or 19 versions of the 2940.  I no longer politely express my
concern to Adaptec, I just avoid their products.

Civileme